Dividing property in a divorce in Virginia
Written by our divorce lawyers in Manassas
Judges must consider many things when deciding how best to divide property between divorcing spouses. There is “separate” property and there is “marital” property. Making sure all of these items are properly known to the judge is the job of the divorce lawyers.
For more than 30 years our divorce lawyers in Manassas have been helping individuals with divorce property division in Manassas, Prince William, Manassas Park, Gainesville, Haymarket, Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Dumfries, Bristow, Warrenton, Centreville, Fairfax, Stafford, Chantilly, Leesburg, Ashburn, Sterling, Herndon, Reston, Alexandria, Annandale, Arlington, and throughout Northern Virginia.
The following kinds of property will be classified as “separate” in Virginia and ARE NOT subject to equitable distribution. Each party keeps their own separate property and debts, such as:
• Property acquired before the marriage
• Property acquired after separation
• Inherited property or property received as a gift from someone other than your spouse
• Property purchased during the marriage using money from the sale of separate property
• Property acquired during the marriage from the exchange of separate property
• Income received from separate property
• Capital gains, or increases in the value of separate property
The following types of property acquired by either spouse during the marriage are subject to equitable distribution:
• All property titled in the names of both parties, whether as joint tenants, tenants by the entirety or otherwise (with a few exceptions)
• Pensions, profit-sharing or deferred compensation or retirement plans
This is a simplified version property distribution, as things can get very complicated in some divorces. To get a glimpse of all the nuances of a divorce in Virginia and the separation of property, we invite you to visit this page, which contains VA Code Ann. § 20-107.3.
It may look mind-numbing to you, but it is second nature to our divorce lawyers in Manassas who fight for their clients every day in court and know divorce law inside and out.
If you are in need of experienced divorce lawyers who get results, please contact us online or by calling 703-361-0776.
Divorce lawyers in Manassas serving Fairfax, Prince William, Arlington, Manassas Park, Gainesville, Haymarket, Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Dumfries, Bristow, Warrenton, Centreville, Stafford, Chantilly, Leesburg, Ashburn, Sterling, Herndon, Reston, Alexandria, and Annandale.